Advanced search
NE Teller County Fire Protection District

fire bans northeast teller county colorado

fire danger northeast teller county fire department


Fire Department Operations FAQ


  • Am I charged by the fire department, if I call for help?

No. We are primarily funded by property taxes paid by property owners in our district. The exception is, hazardous materials response. Because of the extremely high cost involved, hazardous materials responses are usually billed to the responsible party or the property owner. Many times, insurance will pay for a hazardous materials response.

  • Is the NE Teller County Fire Protection District a volunteer fire department?

Yes and No. We are a combination department. We employ a staff of 15, which includes a Fire Chief, an inspector, an administrastive assistant and 12 firefighters.


  • Why are windows broken or holes cut in the roof during a fire?

As a fire burns, it moves upward, then outward. Breaking windows and/or cutting holes in the roof (called ventilation) stops that damaging outward movement and enables fire fighters to fight the fire more efficiently, resulting in less damage to the structure in the long run.

  • Why are holes cut in walls after a fire?

This is done so that the Fire Department is absolutely sure that the fire is completely out, and that there is no fire inside the walls or other hidden places. This is known as overhaul and it is an important part of the extingushment process.

  • Why are vehicles cut into pieces after some accidents?

When access to patients is impeded by damage to the vehicle, it is much faster and critical to patient survival to cut the roof, posts, steering wheel, etc. to gain access. This is referred to as extrication. Extrication also prevents more damage to patients by removing the vehicle from the patient, rather than the patient from the vehicle.

  • Why were firefighters in my house after I was evacuated?

It is sometimes necessary for crews to enter evacuated homes to ensure that utilities are off, pets have been removed, and there are no other hazards evident.

  • Is it possible to obtain a copy of an incident report?

Yes, a fire report is a public document and is available from the NETCFPD via mail. When requesting a copy of the report, include the date of the incident, your name, address, the nature of and the location of the incident. Because of certain laws and regulations, medical reports my not be available or they may be censord to protect individuals identities.



Frequently Asked Questions and Tips For Recovering After a Catastrophic Loss



Contact local disaster agencies, such as American Red
Cross and Salvation Army. They will help with your
immediate needs, such as:

  • Temporary housing, for you and your pets
  • Food
  • Medicine
  • Eyeglasses
  • Clothing
  • Other essential items

Contact your insurance agent/company. Make sure they have good
contact numbers besides your home.


  • DO NOT re-enter the damaged site.
  • DO NOT attempt to turn on the utilities. The emergency crews
    will have turned them off for safety reasons.
  • Stay behind the emergency ribbons that crews have placed around
    the site. Porches, trees, etc., may have sustained damage that
    would fail under weight or windy conditions.
  • Food, medicines, and beverages exposed to heat, smoke, soot, and
    water are not safe for consumption


  • Notify police that your home will be vacated.
  • Ensure that emergency crews or others can safely board up windows
    and doors.
  • Begin immediately to save all receipts related to the emergency.
    They are critical to your reimbursement of expense, and to verify
    your claim of loss on your income tax.
  • If it’s safe to do so, try to locate your:
    • driver’s licenses or Social Security cards
    • insurance information
    • medication information
    • eyeglasses, hearing aids or other prosthetic devices
    • valuables, such as jewelry, cash, credit cards, bank books

As soon as possible, make the following contacts concerning your relocation:

  • insurance agent/company
  • mortgage company (inform them of the emergency)
  • family and friends
  • employer
  • children's school
  • post office
  • delivery services
  • fire and police (if they don’t already know)
  • utilities

Don’t throw away anything until your insurance company has cleared you to do so. This is critical to settling your claim.

DO NOT contract with anyone for repair or inventory until your insurance company clears it first.


Give notice of the emergency to your insurance agent/company, and follow their directions exactly.

Ask the advice of the insurance company as to clean-up and salvage of your property and it’s contents. If you live in a rental property, your insurance will only cover the contents. Your landlord will be contacted regarding the structure. If you own a condo, you will contact the HOA for coverage of the structure.

Find out, preferably in advance of an emergency, if your insurance will require a detailed inventory and value of your property and if so, store it in a safe place away from your property.


If you’re not insured, you will be relying on your own resources, and help from the community. Private organizations that help with disaster relief, such as American Red Cross and Salvation Army should be contacted immediately, and can advise you on resources available for your short term and long term needs.


Restoration Services

There are companies that specialize in the restoration of fire/flood damaged structures. Whether you or your insurer employs this type of service, be clear on who will pay. Be sure to request an estimate of cost for the work. Before any company is hired, check its references. These companies provide a range of services that may include some or all of the following:

  • securing the site against further damage;
  • estimating structural damage;
  • repairing structural damage;
  • estimating the cost to repair or renew items of personal
  • packing, transportation, and storage of household items;
  • securing appropriate cleaning or repair subcontractors; and
  • storing repaired items until needed.


Drivers License Department of Motor Vehicles—Powers
Branch, 5650 Industrial Place, Suite 100
Colorado Springs, CO (719-520-6240)
Bank Accounts Your bank as soon as possible
Insurance Policies Your agent as soon as possible
Military and Discharge Papers National Personnel Records Center
Papers Military Personnel Records Center
9700 Page Boulevard
St. Louis MO 63132-5100
Passports US Postal Office
300 W. South Ave.
Woodland Park, CO 80909 719-574-9279
Birth, Death & Marriage Certificates State Bureau of Records in the state of birth, death, marriage, etc.
Divorce Papers Circuit court where decree was issued
Social Security or Medicare Cards Social Security Administration
1049 N. Academy Blvd
Colorado Springs, CO 80909
Credit Cards The issuing companies as soon as possible
Titles or deeds Records department of city or county in which the property is located
Stocks and bonds Issuing company or your broker
Wills Your attorney
Medical Records Your doctor
Warranties Issuing companies
Income Tax Records Internal Revenue Service
24 hour Recorded Tax Assistance 800-829-4477
Federal Tax Questions 800-829-1040
Auto Registration and Title Cards Department of Motor Vehicles—Powers Branch
5650 Industrial Place, Suite 100
Colorado Springs, CO (719-520-6240)
Prepaid Burial Contracts Issuing company
Post Office US Postal Office
300 W. South Avenue
Woodland Park, CO 80866-9998 (719-687-6179)
Citizenship Papers Immigration & Naturalization Service
Animal Registration Society or governmental agency of registry
Telephone Company QWEST, customer service 1-800-1491-0118

Emergency Numbers

Electric Company

IREA, 800 N Hwy 67, Woodland Park, CO 80863


Gas Company

Black Hills Energy, 24-hr cust. service 1-888-890-5554

Propane Company Contact your provider
Emergency Assistance

American Red Cross
Pikes Peak Chapter
1040 S. Eighth Street
Colorado Springs, CO 80906

Salvation Army
908 Yuma Street
Colorado Springs, CO 80909 (719-636-3891)

Towing Services Fred’s Towing 687-9313
J.E.T. Service 689-2325
Alpine Towing 748-3331
Randy’s Towing 596-6067
Lock Services The Lock Shop 687-2257
County Door and Hardware 687-2863


In the event that you, a friend, or family member is injured in the emergency, you should follow certain procedures if the injury requires treatment beyond the scene of the incident. Contact your company, health insurance, or agent if it is your personal policy. You may be covered under your homeowner’s, automobile, or health insurance. This would apply in the event of short or long-term disability, also.

Information concerning the salvage and restoration of such items as clothing, cooking utensils, electrical appliances, food, flooring and rugs, bedding, leather and books, locks and hinges, walls and furniture can be obtained from the U.S. Fire Administration, Federal Emergency Management Agency, Washington, DC 20472 or through the internet at after.htm Additional information is also available from the Fire Center of the University of Minnesota.